Saturday, May 5, 2012

Traditional Chinese Food


  Different places have their traditional food. After I came to the US, I missed Chinese traditional food pretty much. China is a huge nation, so different provinces have different eating habits and traditional food. I don't know which food I should choose when Denise asked us to introduce a food on blog because many kinds of food are my favorite. Coincidently, May 5 is a special day in China. It is as the first day of summer in lunar calendar, and we need eat a traditional food for lunch or dinner in that day, so I want to introduce this traditional food of my hometown on the blog. This food is porridge with beans and pea nut. The weather of my hometown is hot in May, and the porridge can contribute to relieve the summer-heat, so we eat it on the first day of summer.
  I am not an expert in cooking, but the recipe of the porridge isn’t very complicate, so I can cook it by myself. The first step is to prepare the materials. We need 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of peanut, 1 cup of red bean, 1 cup of soy bean, 1 cup of mung bean, some pieces of ginger and some kelp. Surely, the beans aren’t stable, and you can modify the kinds of bean. These are enough for 3 people. The second step is to process these materials. We mix the different kinds of bean, and soak them in water for a whole night. The rice and kelp are soaked by water only for 1-2 hours after we wash them. The third step is to boil a pot of water. We should put all of the beans and ginger into the pot when we begin to boil the water. When the water gets boiling, we pour the rice into the pot. When it gets boiling again, we turn the fire to low level. After about 2 hours, we put a half bowl of crystal sugar into the porridge. When the sugar dissolves in the porridge, the delicious porridge is finished. There is a lot of sugar in the porridge, so the taste of the porridge is sweet.
  I made the porridge for the dinner on May, 05. My mother, my Aunt and I enjoyed the traditional food on the first day of summer. It tasted so sweet, and the beans and rice was pretty soft. I think the taste was perfect because the chef of the dinner was me. O(_)O However, I think the food isn’t really healthy because it contains a lot of sugar. Nevertheless, it is as a traditional food which we eat only one time in one year, so I have kept eating it for many years. Everyone’s hometown has his traditional food. When we are eating the tradition food, we not only can taste the food, but also feel the taste of our hometown. ~~~~(>_<)~~~~

4 comments:

  1. That's true! Every country has their own traditional foods. So far, in Mongolian Lunar new year, we prepare some sweet rice appetizer for the visitors, but for me it's horrible. It's always has been at all family's tables every year, the point is we have to try that. I always try it about just one scoop :P But don't judge a book by it's cover, if you get a chance, why can't you try :D. It's called "Birees"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. I have a special feelings of rice. Honestly, I will not feel totally full if I don't eat rice entire day. In addition, I think porridge contributes to digest, especially for stomachache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. make it for us ~~~~~~~~ Kenny HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so sweeeet! It is healthy for body especially in summer.

    ReplyDelete