Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hips Don't Lie

Shakira


In this video the female singer is one of the biggest symbol of my country, Colombia. Shakira was born in a city named Barranquilla. That city is recognized for having a warm weather surrounded by beautiful beaches, and where the tropical music is mostly made. Shakira couldn't be the exception. Still very little, Shakira started her carrier as a singer when she was 9 years old. 

This singer is famous not only because her sexy belly dancing performance, but because she has been one of the first artist to introduce Latin rhythms and mix them with hip hop. The male singer that appears in the video is an Haitian raper Wyclef Jean. I think, both of them made a great combination when they decided to sing together. 

The song is about the Shikira's hips, but more than that if you listen the song deeply, you can understand its content. The male voice keeps saying no fighting, no fighting and that he did not expect that she could dance like that to the point, that she could make him to speak Spanish. While Sakira, dancing cumbia (a Colombian typical dance) and making some other movements keeps saying that her hips don't lie. Basically, this song and video is mostly about the fusion between Latin rhythms and hip hop where Wyclef and Shakira shows the world a culture full of colors and new rhythms. 

I heard this song when I was living in Colombia. I remember that I'd just started the college in 2006 and that in the English classes I had to take, the teacher puts us the song in class for an activity that he had. When I first heard that song, I simply liked it. I don't know if you can feel the same emotion as me, but when I see Shakira dancing cumbia with the white robes, I feel like I am in my country. It's hard to explain this beautiful feeling. That's why I chose this song. Shakira is an international artist and one of the greates prides that we have. Shakira also became famous and a valuable character for her social labor she is doing. It's called: Pies Descalzos which is a non-profit that she created where helps poor children and families get education and having a decent place to live. This social work is not only done in Colombia. Pies Descalzos is in Argentina, Mexico, and Peru that I know, and stills extending the help to others poor countries.

I'm proud to be Colombian and having such a recognized singer around the world!

   

5 comments:

  1. Shakira dancing. I want to learn. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakiraaa!!! Whooo~~~ She is a real star in the world.
    Everyone agree with this :) And about the song, Oh my gosh! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shakira shakira..... nice dance, mixed with Lebanese,and Columbian style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahahaha...Lol. Thanks for your comments :D

    ReplyDelete