Sunday, April 29, 2012

                        Ready as a soldier when a door of opportunity opened
   When i turned 18, my possibilities of going back to school again were lost, but hope was the last thing i would lose.  When i was 12 years old i stopped going to school for many reasons.  Then at the beginning of each year of school i would only wish to go back to school.  But, when i turned 18 i realized that my possibilities of going back to school were over.  So, i forgot about school, and i decided to move on and look for some adventures, which was to come here.  When i came here on March 20, 2006 i didn't think of school or learn a second language, what i wanted was just to enjoy living here and work a lot.  That was enough for me.  After, enjoying San Francisco and working hard for six months, i realized that i needed to do something more else, but i didn't know what would be.  On August 16, 2006 i asked for a day off to celebrate my birth day on August 18, and that same day i met the owner of the restaurant that i work for.  The manager gave me the day off, but the owner was not sure that i was already 19 years old, so he asked me if i go to school?  Of curse my answer was no, thus he asked why not?  I didn't know what say that time, so he started saying ''you should go school so you can manage my restaurants, and i think you are under 18''  Later at night i arrived at home, and started telling my bother what the owner of the restaurant had told me.  My brother goes ''it is up to you there are a lot of city colleges here where they offer free English classes or where you pay a little to take other classes''  After hearing to these two great people, and from that moment i could see a big door of opportunity opening to me, which was to go back to school again that i always wanted to do when i was younger.  On August 19, three days later i was sitting in a classroom at Civic Center Campus.  I had registered for three ELS classes and a computer class, and i had quit my day job.  I felt  unbelievable, i felt like i was born again, i felt so excited like how i felt on my first day in elementary school, and i felt the joy of school in my heart and the joy of learning new things.  I was very thank full that life gave me the hope to go back to school.  So, from that time i have never stop going to school   or  learning new things.  And hopefully i will never stop going to school until i get my degree, which is my goal, but who knows what can happen tomorrow?  However, now i'm just going to keep enjoying school and learning new things.
   I took this picture last year.  It is a Grace Cathedral Church, and it is located on Taylor and California streets.  I Chose this picture because i like its structure and especially its front, and since my first job in San Francisco was near this awesome Cathedral.  



3 comments:

  1. Good job Esteban!!! I'm so glad that you did leave the word of the owner of the restaurant behind. You already made it, and it will give you advantages in advance. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the right dicision! I hope you can keep going and make your dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as i arrived in SF, I been there by chance. I've been living in SF downtown nearby that place. One day, I lost to go home, and i found that place. HaHa. It was awe-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete